The Romans during their escape from the Barbarians found their refuge on these mountains and founded their first settlements: Scala, Ravello, Furore. From here they descended towards the sea, where they become expert sailors. The glorious Amalfi was then born. Furore remained, for its particular conformation, an unassailable stronghold, even during the Saracen incursions. Its habitants dedicated themselves to sheep farming and crafts. The Fiord represented a natural port, where a flourishing trade of products took place and the ancient forms of industry, including paper production, developed. The paper mills were powered by the waters of the Schiato River, coming from the Lattari Mountains.
The fury of the sea during stormy days sending waves against the rocky shore, raising deafening noises, gave the name to this town, originally called "Terra Furoris" (The Land of Fury). In earlier times the town also included the village of Casanova, that later disappeared. Some of the most important families of earlier days have given their names to local places and to streets such as Le Porpore, Li Cuomi, Li Candidi, Li Summonti. The noble Summonte family was very involved in the court of the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily (later just the Kingdom of Naples) and eventually, during the 14th Century, moved their family seat to Naples itself.
As a parting gift, the family donated a substantial amount of money to the town, intending it to be used as a dowry to marry a "poor and a honest old maid" of Furore. On their part, to show respect and gratitude, the inhabitants of Furore had to bring to the Summonte house "three lobsters, good and alive and proper to be received by the noble family". But, was this the end of the townspeople's compensation? Some say brides were to give their "first wedding night" to the patriarch, but this has never been confirmed. Pietro Summonte, a priest, was friend with famous men of his time - Sannazzaro, Cariteo and Fontano. Together they founded the famous Academy. Poet and writer, he taught grammar and rhetoric at the Naples General Study. Part of the Summonte Family, Giovanni and Antonio were two very important historians: one, in the Sixteen Century wrote the small essay "Essay on the Isle of Sicily and its kings and why in the Reign of Naples it was called Sicily"; the other wrote the big opera "History of the city and the reign of Naples (1748)". The symbol for the ancient Terra Furosis Universitas (University of Land of Fury) is represented by a shield depicting a gold column on a blue background.
The historian Matteo Camera defines the habitants of Furore as "hardworking and stylish", with a "strong temper". Many inhabitants, even in earlier time reach their 100 birthday and among them, Jorlandino Merolla is remembered because he supposedly lived until he was 1251 years old. Furore has today four churches: Saint James, Saint Michael, Saint Elijah and Saint Mary of Pity. The first three are parish churches, while the last one is the site of an ancient Fraternal Order among the most important and famous of the Diocese. There are also some chapels built by families: Saint Joseph, built by the Florio family; Saint Alphonse built by the Fuscos; Chapel of Saint Cross that belonged to the Ferraioli family. Sons of this last family, Nicola and Giosue' were important Notaries of the Middle Eighteen Century. In the church of Saint James built in the XI century, precious frescos have been found as part of Giotto school and attributed to the painter Odorisio. The church of Saint Elijah the Prophet built around the XIV century and renovated in 1474, is home of three paintings on canvas by the artist Angelo Antonello da Capua, who did the work in 1482. The three paintings depict the Virgin Mary, Saint Elijah and Saint Bartholomew and represent the most prestigious work of art of the Amalfi Coast.